Mary is currently President of WIIS @ MIIS, an institutional chapter within WIIS West’s regional chapter. Originally from San Diego, California, she received her undergraduate degree (BA in International Affairs and Political Science) from Northeastern University. She studied French in France and then post-conflict reconstruction in the Balkan states, before expanding her global studies into the Netherlands with the Dutch National Rapporteur on Trafficking in Human Beings and Sexual Violence Against Children. There, she conducted research on the relationships between trafficking and technology to provide independent policy recommendations.
Currently, she is in the second semester of her MA program (Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies) at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey (MIIS). Her studies now are mainly focused on counterterrorism policy and combating transnational crime (and its convergence with human trafficking) but she also works on issues of chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRNE) terrorism. She is currently working at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS) conducting research on South Asian nuclear policy, missile defense and military strategy. This past summer, she also worked at the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) at the University of Maryland conducting research with the Unconventional Weapons and Technology Unit on CBRNE terrorism and examining nuclear sabotage and radiological terrorism scenarios
- WIIS @ MIIS presents: Marita Janiga, former Special Agent, currently with Kaiser Permanente
- Join WIIS for a speaker event featuring Marita Janiga, former Special Agent, to hear about her career path and expertise! Marita Janiga joined Kaiser Permanente in 2008 and is the executive director of investigation within the National Compliance, Ethics & Integrity Office. In this role, Marita oversees the National Special Investigations Unit that investigates alleged criminal activity, including vendor kickbacks, conflicts of interest, contract fraud, drug diversion, medical identity fraud, and employee and member misconduct; the Hotline Operations Unit that triage more than 10,000 compliance cases yearly, monitor metrics, and provide data and analytical reports to Kaiser Permanente compliance partners highlighting trends and industry benchmarking; and the National Fraud Control Unit that uses technology to monitor red flags for fraud, waste, and abuse involving contracted and non-contracted external providers, and investigates and recommends corrective actions as needed. Prior to joining Kaiser Permanente, Marita had over 20 years of federal law enforcement experience investigating criminal activity, spending the last ten years as the Special Agent in Charge of Labor Racketeering & Fraud Investigations, U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), Office of Inspector General (OIG).
- WIIS @ MIIS presents: Career Profile Session with a Diplomatic Security Service Special Agent
- Join WIIS club for a Career Profile Session with Special Agent Lim! Eun “Judy” Lim is currently assigned to the Bureau of Diplomatic Security’s Recruitment Unit. Her previous overseas assignments have included Regional Security Officer at the U.S. Consulate Guangzhou, Assistant Regional Security Officer - Investigator at the U.S. Consulate in Shanghai and Assistant Regional Security Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul. Her domestic assignments have included the Washington Field Office and as an agent on the Secretary of State’s Protective Detail for Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice. Come join WIIS @ MIIS to learn about the kind of paths available for students and the skills required for this exciting career!
- WIIS @ MIIS and Terrorism Studies Clubs presents: Alisyn Plotts, former DOS, and DOJ
- Join WIIS @ MIIS to discover the experiences and career expertise of Alisyn Plotts, with an opportunity for Q&A and discussion! Allison Henry-Plotts is an expert on foreign affairs, police development and counterterrorism in an international context. Allison served more than 20 years with the federal government, including with the U.S. Departments of State and Justice. During her tenure, Allison managed foreign assistance programs and small businesses overseas; professionalized training for U.S. - funded advisors and others heading to such diverse places as Iraq, Afghanistan, South Sudan and Mexico; and supported counterterrorism policy and skills training for security forces in sub-Saharan Africa. Allison has worked both in Washington, DC and abroad. She has lived, worked and traveled extensively throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East, including multiple postings to Iraq, Liberia and the Lake Chad Basin.
- WIIS @ MIIS Professional Wine Tasting Mixer
- Want to support a local female empowerment organization and discover the local jewels of wineries in Monterey County? Look no further than Comanche Cellars, where WIIS @ MIIS will be debuting our partnership with this wonderful business to provide you with a professional wine tasting mixer. Come finish out the mouth at a fun and relaxed social networking event with your fellow women in international security!
- Leadership and Mindfulness with Lisa Berkeley
- Lisa was the president of WIIS West, the regional office of the greater organization WIIS. She is a MIIS graduate, currently pursuing her PhD, and an advisor into Leadership development as well as Mindfulness application. This workshop will focus on on the soft skills of professional development.
- WIIS @ MIIS presents a Conversation with Virginia State Delegate Danica Roem
- Join WIIS club for a Skype conversation and Q&A; with Virginia State Delegate Danica Roem! Danica Roem is the Delegate representing the 13th District in the Virginia House of Delegates. Danica is a 33 year old step-mom, lifelong resident of Manassas, and the former lead reporter of the Gainesville Times. She ran for office to bring a reporter's eye to Richmond and to speak truth to power. This is a special and one of a kind opportunity! Please invite friends and interested community members! WIIS looks forward to you joining us!